Today I turned 40 years old, and life just keeps getting better.
I don’t know what compelled me to write this post – thankfully I am not sick, my life is not in turmoil, I am not depressed. In fact, quite the opposite. I am happier and more positive than I have ever been.
I suppose I just remember that 40 years old is widely considered to be somewhere around “mid-life”. So if this is halftime, here are the rules of the game, as I’ve learned them along the way:
– Love the one you are with like it’s your last day together.
– Give others the benefit of the doubt.
– Try not to use the word “hate” – reserve that for when you truly mean it.
– We are all in this together, act like it.
– Let go of things that you cannot control.
– Whatever is currently pissing you off won’t matter two days from now.
– Smile more. Your good intentions are not known to the world unless you physically radiate them!
– Steer clear of negative people. They will suck the life out of you.
– Always be the worst one in the band. Play “up” to another level.
– Even though you may be introverted, try not to be a total hermit.
– Nobody owes you anything.
– Tomorrow is not written.
– The most formidable enemy you will ever meet is your own doubt.
– You get one shot sat this, so act like it.
– Once you can envision the end result nothing can stop you.
– You cannot keep a hand in the past and build your future.
– Technology is f%#^ing great.
– Go wash your hair or your car : this is when great ideas come.
– Write a love note to your significant other often.
– You may have pride, but don’t be too proud.
– Always realize that people have other options, so be thankful it’s you they’ve come to.
– Stay in touch.
– Nothing is perfect.
– Dream about you at 10 years old. Now go harness that vision and energy in a creative way.
– Balance as much as possible.
– Start with honey first – only show claws when necessary.
– Always be your own Boss.
– Life is music, always be listening.